In the framework of the Erasmus + Program, East Med: Eastern Mediterranean Regional Training Partnership, the Centre for the Study of European politics and society at BGU organized in the at the 25th of May 2017, in the premises of the Ministry of foreign affairs, Jerusalem, Israel, a policy dialogue event with the title “ EUROPE AND THE EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN BASIN - IN THE HEART OF THE POLICY MAKING PROCESS”.
In the event participated: Mr. Shmuel (Sammy) Revel, Head of Europe Division, Department of European Organizations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Amit Meckel and Mr. Ronen Kraus from the Europe Division, Department of European Organizations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ms. Noga Arbel and Mr. Eyal Mendelbaum from the Center for Policy Research, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr Tal Shalev, Political correspondent from Walla News website and Dr. Yuval Benziman from Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The day before- part of the participants attended a pre-lecture by Dr. Eleni Papadopoulou regarding the potential of the East-Med area in respect of European Common Agricultural Polices.
The 45 participants discussed:
- EU- Israel Relations in respect to the opportunities and challenges in the East-Med idea.
- The East-Med idea relevance to Israel (refugees, energy and economics)
- Israeli MFA position regarding the East-Med ideas
- How the EU may perceive the East-Med idea- opportunities and Challenges.
- EU-Israel relations and East Med idea- Current issues on the table (NATO and TRUMP, terror, Russia)
- The role of the Media and the perceptions of Israeli media regarding EU-Israel relations and the East-Med idea.
- Conflict Resolution potential in respect of the East-Med idea.